That is how Google defines friends, but its deeper then that. Deeper then mere words could ever describe, but something that can be easily lost or broken at a moments notice.
Best friend: The one friend who is closest to you.
I don't know about you but I have never had one best friend. There are so many different circumstances that can require a different best friend or a situation that causes you to make a new best friend to add onto the pile of best friends. I don't believe one person could fit every role required in any situation.
I have multiple best friends, some I have had for years and some that I have only known for a few years, and ones who know me better than I know my own self.
The one I have known the longest is Lilly.
I met her and her family the day they moved into my neighborhood. She did not like me right away.She thought I was some weird white girl, which I was. I was friends with Tina first, I'm not really sure how that happened, but as time went on Lilly and I became close, even after she smacked me across the back with a stick because I didn't want to pick up the papers I threw down.
I really was a brat growing up. Lilly was there though. Even Tina and Kay.
We had some fun times me and my girls. We spent most summers doing something everyday be it swimming, watching T.V., hitting on boys who were older then us, having singing and dancing contests (I have no moves) and many other things. Then Lilly got her drivers license. That was a miracle with the way she drives lol.
That gave us freedom though. They introduced me to the party life. Drinking and staying out till late. Socializing with people I never would have had the nerve to talk to before.
There were times when it was just me and her though. We would get in the car and go to our spot by the canal and just sit and talk. About the past, the present, the future. The boys we found hot, family problems, anything really.
Somewhere along the line we grew apart. They say its because I started dating Rusty and they didn't want to intrude. I say it was happening long before that.
Maybe it was when Lilly and Jerry were getting more serious while they weren't at the same time. Maybe it was the fact that I was growing out of the habits and past times they were still enjoying. Maybe it was a combination of all those things.
Whatever it was I wish I could go back and fix it. Make sure I didn't let it slip away so easily. Maybe there was nothing I could have done, but now I fear its too late to fix, to take back the silence on both ends, the too busy schedules, the blown off plans.
Now when I could use a friend the most I'm left hating myself for letting go of a relationship that was built over a long period of time.
One that I miss the most.
No comments:
Post a Comment